Operating plants have begun to appreciate the Safety Life Cycle engineering process as one that provides an exact, objective methodology to provide Front End Engineering for a critical control loop. Safety or Integrity Management has been the primary focus for this design methodology. Power and Energy markets are just beginning to adapt the IEC standards. Based on the sale of safety systems during 2006, the Oil & Gas industry represented 37% of worldwide process safety sales Refining and Petrochemicals represented 28%, and sales to the Chemical industry 23%. The remainder of process sector sales was to power generation at 9% and the remainder went to the pulp and paper semiconductor production and pharmaceuticals markets. exida however has been working with the Power and Energy market for 6 years.
Exida’s experience with Power and Energy applications include:
- HAZOP (PHA) study of coal-fired power station (main plant), SIL selection (LOPA) of main plant & SIL verification of feed pump critical functions. Development of Safety Requirement Specification (SRS) for feed pump safety instrumented functions.
- HAZOP (PHA) study of coal-fired power station (water treatment), SIL selection (LOPA) of water treatment & SIL verification of water treatment critical functions. Development of Safety Requirement Specification (SRS) for water treatment safety instrumented functions. Design review and vendor evaluations.
- HAZOP (PHA) study of coal-fired power station (SO3 plant), SIL selection (LOPA) of SO3 plant & SIL verification of SO3 plant critical functions. Development of Safety Requirement Specification (SRS) for SO3 plant safety instrumented functions.
- HAZOP (PHA) study of Combined Heat & Power (CHP) plant. Functional Safety Training (CFSE) and Process Safety Training (SIS Operations & Maintenance and Alarm Management)
- Hazard Identification (HAZID) of various gas turbine engine models, Functional Safety Training (CFSE)
Other projects include:
- Scrubber Reliability and LCC Review
- Turbine Governor IEC 61508 Certification
- Furnace SLC Design and SIL Analysis and Verification
- BMS SIL Design and Analysis
- Power former SIL Design, Analysis and Verification
- Nuclear Plant IEC 61508 and 613 Training, Safety Case Database Architecture review, Qualification, HMI Process Gap analysis, Final documentation review and verification training
- Nuclear guideline co-authoring for Field Instrument qualification
- Reformer and Reheat Furnace SIL selection and verification