An assessment is a serious activity and must be done on project level considering the technical and process requirements.
Automotive assessments are done in Germany (and, in general, in Europe) typically by the OEM for the reason why the OEM has the legal responsibility.
OEM assessment maybe supported by a third party assessor, but third party certification will not clear from the legal responsibility.
The homologation body has to assess against the ECE directives that are far less than the ISO 26262 requirements.
For planning an assessment it is important to consider these consequences:
- Prepare for multiple assessors to come
- SPICE assessor for the processes, recently supported by Functional Safety experts
- Technical safety assessor by the OEM for the project
- Homologation body assessor
- Allocate functional safety engineers (PE) in each section who explain the functional safety concepts to the assessors
- Compile the project evidence documentation upfront
- Perform internal assessment audits to train and prepare all the involved people
exida is providing its experience in order to contribute to the success of its customers assessment initiatives.